- 15 years of experience in embedded software design and implementation. Powerful combination with my hardware design background.
- Proven knowledge of writing optimized, robust device drivers.
- Fluent in the use of GNU software development tools.
- Strong coding skills in C (13 yr.) , C++ (4 yr), Pascal (7 yr.), Assembler (4 yr.)
- Experience with a variety of hardware diagnostic tools to bring up new firmware: ICE (MIPS, PPC, i960 et al), BDM, logic analyzers and scopes.
Primary Care Giver (2001 to present)
- Balanced my life by getting married and raising our two boys while running our urban farm.
- In my free time, I stayed in touch with the professional world by developing SISO. This involved single board computer bring-up (geode sc1100); adding the apps to turn it into a VPN terminator / 802.11abg access point / DNS forward / DHCP server (URL).
- Developed a video work flow to edit footage from H.264 based cameras using a nonlinear editor that did not support it out of the box.
- Linux system administration to create and maintain a software build environment.
Principal Software Engineer at Lucent Technologies in Alameda, CA and Portland, OR (2000 to 2001)
- Introduced a new method to route IP over an ATM egress, while maximizing small packet throughput. Developed an ATM SAR driver for AAL5 at OC-3c rates using PCI and DMA engines. Starting with schematics review, brought up the hardware, worked with the component vendors, developed the software, and guided the product through SQA and FCS.
- Co-designed an ATM/MPLS board targeted at switching voice traffic at 10 Gbps (OC-192c) rates. At the core of this egress board are hardware parts such as network processors, and traffic/memory managers (MMC), and custom ASICs.
- Development on a proprietary cooperative multitasking micro kernel, enabling performance enhancements and debugging of embedded networking products.
Senior Software Engineer Ascend Communications Alameda, CA (1997 to 2000)
- Developed two ATM device drivers (NEC’401 and IBM Charm). These drivers now transport much of the remote access traffic to the Internet backbone.
- Conducted system bring-up of new boards with various CPUs and PCI-bridges. Low level debugging on PowerPC, MIPS and Intel, and peripheral buses.
- Added features and enhancements; provided sustaining support to ISDN and IP routing software for major accounts such as UUNet, US West, WorldCom, Sprint, AT&T, NTT (Japan), DT (Germany), BT (UK) and FT (France).
- Successfully incorporated engineers from a Scottish company, transferring knowledge and skills.
- Developed an ISDN T1 driver taking advantage of the hardware signaling assist.
- Using GNU/Linux development tools, worked on a large code base with engineers scattered throughout the world.
- Introduced congestion avoidance to Ascend’s successful range of access routers.
- Implemented inter-trunk telecom signaling to boost the sale of VoIP solutions.
Software Engineer and Project Manager at Royal Dutch Telecom Research Labs, NETHERLANDS (1994 to 1997)
- Designed the process architecture for a redundant and fault-tolerant leading image recognition system for the banking industry.
- Specified and implemented a flexible IP-based communication protocol used to interface with third party equipment.
- Provided architectural guidance to other engineers. Managed development, SQA, customer relations and maintenance of software.
- Drove projects to completion by influencing and assisting a diverse team of project specialists.
Software Engineer at Royal Dutch Telecom Research Labs, NETHERLANDS (1990 to 1994)
- Designed the process architecture for a 48-CPU transputer system used in optical character recognition of giro and postal documents.
- Specified and implemented VME-bus interfaces used to communicate with third party equipment.
- Responsible for handling technical contacts with our American partner.
Hardware Engineering at various places (1987 – June 1988, Summer 1989)
- Designed and developed hardware to overlay a PC screen with MPEG video streams. Used the emerging Xilinx FPGAs to provide a compact and flexible solution. This thesis awarded highest honors.
- Wrote process visualization, PLC demonstration programs focusing on user interface design. (internship at SattControl)
- Designed and developed hardware to overlay PAL video signals with text menus used for the user interface in an ATM pilot. (internship at Royal Dutch Telecom Research)
- Performed a variety of maintenance and SQA functions. (internship at Fokker Defense)
- HTS Dordrecht, the Netherlands. Graduated in Electrical Engineering and Data Communications (MSEE)
- Antonie Keldermans MTS Bergen op Zoom, the Netherlands. Graduated in Electrical Engineering
- Fluent in English and Dutch, working knowledge of German.
- Completed emergency response training; taught basic first aid to teenagers.
- Endurance running, paragliding, hiking and exploring.
- Represented non-union employees in meetings with the CEO, CFO and CTO. (Royal Dutch Telecom Research)
- Professional SCUBA Dive Master, 1992 – present.
- Dutch citizenship. Authorized to work in the U.S.A. (permanent resident).
- Driven by Silicon Valley’s gumption and work ethics.