Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
|Author:||Inspired by Gourmet, 2009.11|
|10 oz.||pearl onions (about 2 1/4 cups)|
|9 tbsp.||olive oil, divided|
|1 1/2 lb.||seitan, sliced 1/4 inch thick and patted dry|
|3||medium leeks , halved lengthwise, sliced 1/2 inch thick, and washed (white and pale green parts only|
|1 tbsp.||chopped rosemary|
|1 lb.||cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered|
|3/4 lb.||carrots , cut into 3/4-inch-thick pieces (about 4 medium)|
|3/4 lb.||parsnips , cut into 3/4-inch-thick pieces (about 4 medium)|
|2 tbsp.||thyme leaves|
|1||bottle full-bodied red wine such as Burgundy or Côtes du Rhône (750-ml)|
|3 tbsp.||unsalted butter, softened|
|3 tbsp.||all-purpose flour|
|3 1/2 cups||hot rich vegetable stock|
|1/2 cups||chopped flat-leaf parsley|
|2 1/2 lb.||Yukon Gold potatoes|
|3/4 lb.||celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces|
|1/2||stick unsalted butter|
|1/2 cups||whole milk|
|1/2 cups||heavy cream|
- Make stew.
- Blanch pearl onions in a 2-quart saucepan of boiling.
- water 2 minutes, then drain and cool in an ice bath to stop cooking. Peel onions and trim, leaving root ends intact.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 5-quart heavy pot over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Brown seitan in 3 batches, turning occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes (add 2 tablespoons oil between batches). Transfer to a plate.
- Cook leeks in remaining 3 tablespoons oil with 1/4 teaspoon salt in pot over medium heat, covered, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Epicurious.com © CondéNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
- of 4.
- Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie (continued).
- Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until they just begin to give off liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, parsnips, thyme, and rosemary and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a bowl.
- Add wine to pot and boil until reduced to about 1 cup, 10 to.
- While wine reduces, make a beurre manié by stirring together butter and flour in a small bowl to form a paste.
- Add stock to wine and bring to a brisk simmer.
- Whisk in beurre manié, then simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened slightly, 3 to 5 minutes. Add seitan, pearl onions, and vegetable mixture to pot and simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
- Make topping while stew simmers.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Cover potatoes and celery root with cold water in a 4-to 5-quart heavy pot, then simmer, partially covered, until very tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain in a colander.
- Bring butter, milk, and cream to a simmer in pot over medium heat, stirring until butter has melted.
- Stir in reserved cooking water, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Remove from heat. Force potatoes and celery root through ricer into hot milk mixture and stir gently to combine.
- Finish pie.
- Preheat broiler.
- Put baking dish in a large 4-sided sheet pan and transfer stew to dish.
- Spoon potato mixture over stew and spread evenly to cover.
- Broil about 3 inches from heat until top is golden, about 5 minutes.