Curried Chick Peas and Tofu
|Author:||Inspired by Moosewood at Home, pg. 169|
|2 tbsp.||vegetable oil|
|2 tsp.||ground cumin|
|1 tsp.||ground coriander|
|1/4 tsp.||ground black pepper|
|pinch||cayenne pepper (optional)|
|3/4 lb.||tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes|
|2 cups||cooked, undrained chick peas (16 oz. can)|
|2||tomatoes, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)|
|chopped, fresh cilantro (optional)|
|plain yogurt (optional)|
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the oil until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cumin, coriander, turmeric, black pepper, and optional cayenne.
- Add the cubed tofu and cook for a minute or so, stirring constantly. Add the chick peas and about 1/2 cup of their liquid, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and continue to cook until thoroughly heated. Add salt to taste.
- Serve topped with chopped cilantro and yogurt if you like.