Make the leek mixture and cook the potatoes a day ahead. Or use store-bought diced cooked potatoes (such as Simply Potatoes), whisk the eggs, combine everything, and bake the morning of the brunch.
CALORIES 185 (35% from fat); FAT 7.1g (sat 3g,mono 1.5g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 12.5g; CHOLESTEROL 150mg; CALCIUM 176mg; SODIUM 429mg; FIBER 2.8g; IRON 3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 18.9g
|1 tsp. ||butter|
|2 cups ||thinly sliced leek (about 2 large)|
|1 pkg. ||fresh spinach (10-ounce)|
|1/3 cups ||fat-free milk|
|2 tbsp. ||finely chopped fresh basil|
|1/2 tsp. ||salt|
|1/4 tsp. ||black pepper|
|4 ||large eggs|
|4 ||large egg whites|
|2 cups ||cooked, peeled red potato (about 3/4 pound)|
| ||Cooking spray|
|1 1/2 tbsp. ||dry breadcrumbs|
|1/2 cups ||shredded provolone cheese (2 ounces)|
|12 ||large eggs|
|1/2 cups ||sour cream|
|2 tbsp. ||chopped fresh thyme|
|1 tsp. ||salt|
|3/4 tsp. ||freshly ground pepper|
|1/4 tsp. ||baking powder|
|2 tbsp. ||butter or margarine|
|6 ||small plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped|
|8 oz. ||farmer cheese, shredded|
|1/2 cups ||chopped fresh basil|
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leek; sauté 4 minutes. Add spinach; sauté 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Place mixture in a colander, pressing until barely moist.
- Combine milk, basil, salt, pepper, eggs, and egg whites; stir well with a whisk. Add leek mixture and potato. Pour into a 10-inch round ceramic baking dish or pie plate coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and top with cheese. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until center is set.
- Preheat broiler.
- Broil frittata 4 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges.
- Beat first 6 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 to 3 minutes or until well blended.
- Melt butter in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet; add egg mixture.
- Bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with tomatoes, cheese, and basil. Return to oven, and bake 15 to 20 more minutes or until set. Garnish, if desired; serve immediately.
- Note: Farmer cheese is a mild, part-skim, semisoft cheese available in 8-ounce rounds. Havarti or Monterey Jack cheese may be substituted.