Six Minute Chocolate Cake
|Author:||Inspired by Moosewood Desserts, pg. 348|
|1 1/2 cups||unbleached white flour|
|1/3 cups||unsweetened cocoa powder|
|1 tsp.||baking soda|
|1/2 cups||vegetable oil|
|1 cups||cold coffee or water|
|2 tsp.||pure vanilla extract|
|2 tsp.||balsamic vinegar|
|8 oz.||semi-sweet chocolate|
|1/2 cups||confectioner's sugar|
|1 tsp.||vanilla extract|
- Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, soda into a bowl.
- Measure and mix together wet ingredients: oil, cold water or coffee, vanilla.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and mix the batter well.
- When the batter is smooth, add the 2 tablespoons vinegar and stir quickly. There will be pale swirls in the batter as the baking soda and vinegar react. Stir just until the vinegar is evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour the batter into cupcake pan lined with paper liners and bake at 375F for 15-20 minutes. Note: It's better to under- than over- bake these, as they can become dry. While cupcakes bake, prepare the glaze.
- Glaze / frosting directions: Melt 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate in microwave, being careful not to scorch. Add 2/3 cup freshly brewed coffee, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar. Chill for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. At this point, you can dip the cupcakes in the glaze to cover, then refrigerate cupcakes to firm the glaze. OR, if you chill the glaze for several hours, it will reach a spreading consistency, more like frosting.