Rijstevlaai (Dutch rice tart)
|100 g||desert rice (swells up when boiled. Same rice as used in rijstepudding)|
|16 g||vanillesuiker (99% sugar, 1% vanilla extract)|
|75 g||sugar (for the egg yolk)|
|50 g||sugar (for the egg white)|
- Prepare the "vlaaibodem" recipe. This will be used as the tart crust.
- Bring milk to boil, add washed rice and let boil for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Mix the egg yolks with the 75 g sugar and vanilla sugar. Beat using a mixer.
- Mix the egg whites with 50 g sugar. Beat using a mixer until stiff.
- Mix the egg yolk mixture with the desert rice. Put 2/3 of this mixture on the "vlaaibodem"
- Mix the remaining 1/3 of the yolk mixture with the egg white mixture and put this on top on the first layer. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Bake at 200C (390F) until golden brown, about 30 minutes.