Pasta Tutto Giardino
|Author:||Inspired by Moosewood at Home, pg. 186|
|Yield:||4 to 6 servings|
|1 1/2 cups||chopped onion|
|2||cloves of garlic|
|2 tbsp.||olive oil|
|3 cups||sliced mushrooms|
|1 tbsp.||chopped fresh basil|
|1 tbsp.||chopped fresh marjoram (1 tsp. dried)|
|2/3 cups||dry white wine|
|1/4 cups||unbleached white flour|
|1 1/2 cups||milk|
|1 lb.||penne pasta|
|1 cups||diced tomatoes|
|1/2 cups||frozen green peas|
|2 tsp.||fresh lemon juice|
- In a non-reactive cookpot, sauté the onions, garlic, and the carrots i the olive oil. Stir occasionally. When the onions are translucent, add the bell peppers, mushrooms, zuhini or yellow squash, basil, marjoram, oregano, and salt and pepper, and cook for a minute or two. Stir in the wine, cover, and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, bring a large covered pot of water to a rapid boil.
- To make the roux, melt the butter in a small hea y saucepan or skillet. Wisk in the flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly add the milk, wisking constanly until the sauce thickens. Cover and set the roux aside.
- when the pasta water boils, stir in the pasa, and cover until the water returns to a boil. Uncover the pot and cook until al dente about 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the past cooks, stir the tomatoes and peas into the simmering vegatbles, cook for about 2 minutes, and then stir int he roux. Adjust the seasonings. For a little more tang, add the lemon juice.
- Drain thecooked pasta and place it in a warmed serving bowl. Ladle the sauce on the pasta and serve with Parmesan cheese.
|Amount per serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5g||8%|
|Total Carbohydrate 32g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
|Includes Added Sugars|
The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrition in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.