|Author:||Inspired by Vegetarian Times|
|Yield:||10 to 12 Servings|
|1 tsp.||dried juniper berries|
|2 cloves||garlic, peeled|
|2||Tbs. plus 2 tsp. vegetable oil|
|1/2||small head green cabbage, finely shredded (6 cups)|
|20 oz.||cremini mushrooms, chopped (8 cups)|
|1||Tbs. chopped fresh sage leaves or 1 tsp. dried|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste|
|2 cups||peeled, sliced parsnips|
|1||Tbs. chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried|
|2 cups||cooked brown rice|
|1||pkg. frozen puff pastry, thawed (17 1/4-oz)|
|1||beaten egg mixed with 1 tsp. water or milk|
- Filling: Using a mortar and pestle, crush juniper berries, garlic and salt into a paste. In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add garlic paste and stir-fry 1 minute. Add cabbage and cook, stirring until coated with oil and paste mixture. Cover and cook 2 minutes until wilted and bright green. Transfer to bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon in skillet, add mushrooms, sage, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms soften, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Wipe out skillet, and heat remining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add parsnips and thyme and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Unfold one puff pastry sheet and place on lightly floured surface. Roll out into a 14-inch square, then cut dough into a 14-inch circle. Transfer circle to ungreased 8 1/2-inch springform pan and press gently to fit into bottom and side. There will be some overhang.
- Spoon half the rice over pastry. Using slotted spoon, layer mushrooms over rice, then cover with cabbage, remaining rice and parsnips. Carefully fold pastry overhang over filling. Brush edges with beaten egg or milk.
- Unfold second puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll out slightly, then cut out into an 8 1/2-inch circle. Place the circle of dough over top and press edges to seal. Brush top with egg wash and using a small sharp knife or razor blade, slash top in a cross-hatch pattern.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes. When well browned, loosely cover top with foil. Reduce heat to 350°F.; remove side of pan and brush side with egg wash. Bake until sides are golden, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slighty before serving. Cut into wedges and serve with Red Wine Gravy (see recipe below).
|Amount per serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 21g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||35%|
|Total Carbohydrate 40g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
|Includes Added Sugars|
The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrition in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.