Spinach Salad with Crisped Tempeh
|Author:||Inspired by Vegetarian Times, 2000.04|
|4 thin slices||red onion, separated into rings|
|2 large||button mushrooms, thinly sliced|
|1 large||scallion, thinly sliced (white and light green parts)|
|1 tbsp.||peanut oil|
|4 oz.||tempeh, chopped|
|3 tbsp.||red wine vinegar|
|1 tsp.||fresh lemon juice|
|1/4 tsp.||freshly ground pepper|
|8 oz.||fresh spinach, stemmed, rinsed well, dried and coarsely torn (8 cups)|
|1/2 cups||vegetable oil|
|3 cloves||garlic, halved lengthwise|
|1 tsp.||dried oregano|
- In small saucepan, combine vegetable oil and garlic. Bring to a simmer over medium heat (oil should bubble gently) and cook until garlic is tender but not browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in oregano and let stand 30 minutes to blend flavors.
- Meanwhile, in large salad bowl, combine spinach, onion rings, mushrooms and scallion. Set aside.
- In medium skillet, heat peanut oil over medium-high heat. Add tempeh and cook, stirring often and shaking pan, until lightly browned and crisp, 7 to 10 minutes.
- While tempeh is cooking, strain flavored oil through fine sieve; set aside. Transfer cooked garlic to cutting board. Holding blade of large, heavy knife parallel to board, smear garlic over board, then chop to a paste.
- Transfer cooked tempeh to bowl. In same warm skillet, combine 2 tablespoons reserved flavored oil, garlic paste, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then pour over salad. Add crisped tempeh, toss well and serve.
|Amount per serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 9g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|Includes Added Sugars|
The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrition in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.