|Author:||Inspired by Moosewood Sundays|
|1 lb.||firm tofu|
|2 tbsp.||toasted sesame oil|
|2 tbsp.||tamari sauce|
|1 tbsp.||sherry (or rice wine)|
|1 tbsp.||rice vinegar (or cider)|
|1 cloves||garlic, pressed or minced|
|2 tbsp.||onion, finely minced|
|1 tsp.||fresh ginger, grated|
|1/4 - 1/2 tsp.||chili paste|
- Press the tofu: Put between two plates and add a weight to the top (about 4 lbs).
- The sides of the tofu should bulge but not split.
- Let sit for about 30 minutes and pour off the water. (This firms it up and lets it absorb flavors better).
- Combine the remaining ingredients. (You can also put those ingredients in the food processor rather than grating/mincing/etc).
- Cut the tofu into appropriate shapes--I usually cut a cake in three horizontally, then in half, and those halves into triangles.
- Put the tofu in a single layer in a baking dish and pour the marinade over.
- Bake at 375 °F (180 °C) turning occasionally, until browned and the marinade is mostly evaporated, about 45 minutes