Squash and Kale Risotto
|Author:||Inspired by Moosewood Low-Fat, pg. 192|
|4 1/2 to 5 cups||vegetable broth|
|1 cups||onions, minced|
|2 to 3 tsp.||olive oil|
|1 1/2 cups||arborio rice|
|1/2 cups||dry white wine (optional)|
|2 cups||winter squash, peeled and cubed|
|1/2 lb.||kale, stemmed and chopped|
|1 tsp.||lemon peel, freshly grated|
|salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste|
|1/4 cups||Parmesan cheese, grated|
- Bring the vegetable stock to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, sauté the onions in 2 tsp of olive oil for about 5 minutes, until softened but not brown. Add more oil, if necessary, to prevent sticking. Using a wooden spoon, add the rice and stir until it is well-coated with oil.
- Add the wine, if using. When it is absorbed (won't take long), ladle in 2 1/2 cups of the simmering stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently for 2 to 3 minutes between each addition, until the rice has absorbed the liquid.
- Add the squash and kale and stir.
- Continue adding 1/2 cup of broth every few minutes for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until all of the stock has been added and the rice is tender but firm.
- Add the lemon peel, salt and pepper to taste. Remove the risotto from the heat, stir in the cheese and serve immediately.
|Amount per serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7g||11%|
|Total Carbohydrate 80g||27%|
|Includes Added Sugars|
The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrition in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.