Swedish Sand Tarts
Crumbly, silky texture and toasty flavor from browned butter and ground roasted almonds. Served plain, sand tarts are like cookies; invert them on the plate so the impression of the mold shows. If you serve the pudgy little pastries right side up, spoon a small puff of sweetened whipped cream in the slightly depressed center and top with several fresh berries.
|Author:||Inspired by Sunset Magazine, 2002.08|
|Yield:||14 tarts 2 1/2" wide, or 7 tarts 3" wide|
|1/2 cups||butter (1/4 lb.)|
|1/3 cups||roasted salted almonds|
|1 large||egg white|
|1 tsp.||vanilla extract|
|1/4 tsp.||almond extract|
|3/4 cups||white unbleached flour|
- In a 1 to 1 1/2"-quart pan over medium heat, cook butter until particles on pan bottom and foam that floats on melted butter turn amber-colored and smell toasted (mixture may bubble up), 5 to 6 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes.
- In a food processor or blender, whirl almonds and sugar to a fine powder (if using a blender, transfer to a bowl). Scrape browned butter into container with nuts and sugar; add egg white, vanilla, almond extract, and flour. Whirl and stir with a fork until blended (dough will be sticky).
- For *petite* tarts, use 2 1/2" round tart pans (about 3/4" deep; 2 tbsp capacity), lining each with about 1 1/2 tbsp. dough. For *cookie-size* tarts, use 3" round tarts pans (about 1 1/4" deep; 5 tbsp. capacity), lining each with about 3 tbsp. dough. With your fingertips, press dough evenly over bottom and up sides of pans (nonstick or regular), flush with rims. Set slightly apart in a shallow, rimmed pan (10x15").
- Bake in a 300 °F (140 °C) regular or convection oven until tarts are richly browned at the edges and slightly paler in the center, 25 to 35 minutes; small tarts brown faster, so start checking them early. The tarts puff up in the center as they cook, leaving only a small depression.
- Transfer pans to a rack and let stand until tarts are warm but comfortable to touch, 5 to 8 minutes. Ten invert one pan at a time onto a flat surface and gently squeeze, tapping very gently. If tart doesn't fall out, ease free with the tip of a sharp knife. Serve warm or cool.
|Amount per serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Total Carbohydrate 10g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|Includes Added Sugars|
The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrition in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.