Add a welcome warmth to a cool-weather breakfast.
|Author:||Inspired by Sunset magazine|
|Cook time: ||00:25|
|2 cups ||unbleached white flour|
|3 tbsp. ||sugar|
|3 tsp. ||baking powder|
|1/2 tsp. ||salt|
|1 cups ||milk|
|4 tbsp. ||butter, melted and cooled|
- Preheat oven to 425 °F (210 °C). Grease muffin pan or line with paper cup liners and set aside.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; make a well in the center. Combine milk, egg and butter in a measuring cup and mix well.
- Pour liquid all at once into the flour mixture. Mix only slightly to combine and do not over-mix (12 to 15 strokes just until dry ingredients are moistened). Batter should have lumps.
- Fill each prepared muffin cup 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake muffins for 20 to 25 minutes or until tops are lightly browned. Remove from pans immediately.
- VARIATION: Prepare Muffins (above) but increase sugar to 1/2 cup and stir 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries into flour mixture before making the well.
- VARIATION: Put one teaspoon of jam in the center of muffins just before baking.
- VARIATION: Prepare Muffins, increasing sugar to 1/2 cup and add 1 tablespoon grated orange peel; substitute 1/4 cup orange juice for 1/4 of the milk.
- VARIATION: Prepare Muffins, increase sugar to 1/2 cup and stir 1/2 cup chopped nuts into flour mixture before making the well.
- VARIATION: Prepare muffins, stir 3/4 cups raisins into the flour mixture before making the well.
- WHEAT VARIATION: Prepare muffins, substituting 1 cup whole wheat four for 1 cup of the flour.