Almost Fat-free Cornbread
Pumpkin, this recipe's secret ingredient, lends both a deep golden color and welcome moistness to an already exceptional bread. The corn and pumpkin combination makes it a perfect choice with most foods from the Americas, especially soups, stews, and bean dishes. For a low-fat cornbread with a lighter texture than this non-fat version, add 1/4 cup of canola oil and 1 egg yolk to the wet ingredients and follow the rest of the recipe.
|Author:||Inspired by Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites, pg.110|
|Yield:||8 x 8" cornbread|
|2 tbsp.||brown sugar|
|3/4 cups||buttermilk, (or non-fat yogurt)|
|1/2 cups||puréed cooked pumpkin, (or sweet potato / winter squash baby food)|
|1 cups||unbleached white flour|
|1 tbsp.||baking powder|
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (165 °C).
- Prepare an 8 x 8" baking pan with canola oil or cooking spray. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, egg whites, yogurt or buttermilk, and pumpkin until frothy. Sift the cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder into the mixing bowl.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just mixed.
- Pour the batter into the oiled pan and bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
8 x 8" cornbread per recipe
Serving size 1 serving
|Amount per serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||2%|
|Total Carbohydrate 32g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|Includes Added Sugars|
The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrition in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.