Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
A tender, cake-like muffin with a tangy glaze.
|Author:||Karen Fukui in Sunset Magazine, 2002.05|
|3 cups||unbleached white flour|
|1/3 cups||poppy seeds|
|1 tbsp.||baking soda|
|1/2 cups||butter, melted|
|2 tbsp.||lemon peel, grated|
|1/3 cups||lemon juice|
|1/2 cups||powdered sugar|
|2 tbsp.||lemon juice|
|1/2 tsp.||vanilla extract|
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (165 °C).
- In a bowl, mix flour, poppy seeds, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, beat butter and sugar until well blended. Add eggs and beat until incorporated. Beat in lemon peel and 1/3 cup of lemon juice.
- Add half the flour mixture and stir just until evenly moistened, then stir in milk and remaining flour mixture. Spoon batter equally into 12 paper-lined muffin cups.
- Bake until tops are browned and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Let stand on a rack for 5 minutes, then remove muffins and let cool completely.
- Lemon glaze: in a bowl, mix 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 2 tbsp lemon juice, and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract until smooth. Use immediately. Dip top of each muffin in lemon glaze; allow excess to drip off. Return to rack until glaze is set, about 15 minutes.
|Amount per serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 11g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Total Carbohydrate 48g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|Includes Added Sugars|
The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrition in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.