This well-seasoned vegetable stew of eggplant, zucchini, onions, peppers and tomatoes makes a versatile dish.
|2 small ||eggplants|
|1/4 cups ||olive oil, divided|
|2 large ||onions, thickly sliced|
|1 large ||green bell pepper, seeded and cut in 2" strips, 1/4" thick|
|1 large ||red bell pepper, seeded and cut in 2" strips, 1/4" thick|
|3 cloves ||garlic, minced|
|2 1/2 lb. ||tomatoes, chopped|
|1 1/2 lb. ||zucchini, cut cross-wise and sliced in 1/2" slices|
|1/2 tbsp. ||thyme|
|1/2 tbsp. ||oregano|
|2 tbsp. ||fresh basil, minced (or 1/2 t dried)|
|1/2 tbsp. ||black pepper, ground|
|1/4 tbsp. ||salt|
|1/8 tbsp. ||cayenne pepper|
|2 tbsp. ||fresh parsley, minced|
- Cut the eggplant into 3/4" cubes. Place the diced eggplants in a colander, sprinkle well with salt, weight the pieces down with a plate or bowl, and let the eggplant drain for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a large, heavy skillet. Add the onions and green and red peppers, and sauté them until the onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and tomatoes. Cook the vegetables, stirring them, for about 3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, and wipe out the pan.
- Heat another tablespoon of oil in the pan, and sauté the zucchini for about 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini to the other vegetables in the bowl, leaving behind as much oil as possible.
- Rinse, drain and dry the diced eggplant with paper towels. Add the remaining 2 tbsp. olive oil to the pan, and sauté the eggplant for about 10 minutes.
- Return the reserved vegetables to the pan, and mix them well with the eggplant. Heat the ratatouille and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in the thyme, basil, oregano, pepper, salt, cayenne, and parsley.