Vegetable Medley with Basmati Rice
Basmati rice has a delicious, nutty flavor.
|Author:||Inspired by Vegetarian Times, 2002.02|
|Yield:||4 to 6 Servings|
|1 1/2 cups||basmati rice|
|1 lb.||brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved|
|2 tbsp.||olive oil|
|6 cloves||garlic, halved|
|4 pieces||shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced|
|1/2 pieces||butternut squash, seeded and cubed|
|1 pieces||carrot, cut into matchsticks|
|1 cups||garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained|
|1 cups||kale, chopped and packed|
|1/4 cups||tamari sauce|
|1/4 cups||nutritional yeast (produces more alcohol than baker's yeast)|
|to taste||pumpkin seeds, toasted, for garnish|
- In medium saucepan, combine rice and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until water has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- In large saucepan fitted with steamer basket, bring 2 inches water to a boil, and steam brussels sprouts until bright green and still crisp, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In large, heavy skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, mushrooms, squash and carrot, and cook, stirring often, until tender, 5 minutes. Add beans and kale, and cook, stirring often, until kale is bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Add brussels sprouts, and reduce heat to medium-low.
- In small bowl, mix milk, tamari and nutritional yeast. Pour over vegetables in skillet, and cover. Remove skillet from heat, and let stand 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve over basmati rice and garnish each serving with pumpkins seeds.
|Amount per serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 83g||28%|
|Dietary Fiber 12g||48%|
|Includes Added Sugars|
The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrition in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.