A distinctive vegetable curry with onion, tomatoes and cooked garbanzo beans.
|Author:||Inspired by Sunset Complete Vegetarian Cookbook, pg.81|
|Yield:||4 to 6 servings|
|3 tbsp.||vegetable oil|
|1 large||onion, finely chopped|
|3 cloves||garlic, minced or pressed|
|1 tbsp.||fresh ginger, minced|
|1 large||tomato, chopped|
|1 1/2 tsp.||ground cumin|
|1 tsp.||ground coriander|
|1/2 tsp.||cayenne pepper|
|1/2 tsp.||ground turmeric|
|2 cans||garbanzo beans (1 lb each), drained and rinsed|
|1/4 cups||fresh cilantro, chopped|
- Heat oil in a wide frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring often, until onion is lightly browned (8 to 10 minutes).
- Add tomato and cook, stirring, until almost all liquid has evaporated (about 3 minutes).
- Mix in cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper and turmeric. Reduce heat to low and coor, stirring, until spices become aromatic (3 to 5 minutes).
- Stir in garbanzos and water. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens (about 20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, squeeze juice from half a lime. Cut remaining limes into wedges.
- Stir lime juice into garbanzo mixture.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.
|Amount per serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 41g||14%|
|Includes Added Sugars|
The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrition in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.