A traditional Dutch favorite for New Year's Eve.
|Prep time: ||00:20|
|Cook time: ||00:30|
|70 g ||sugar, (ideally: witte basterd suiker)|
|2 tbsp. ||cinnamon|
|5/8 ||golden delicious apples, cut in 5 slices|
|250 g ||unbleached flour|
|1/2 tsp. ||double acting baking powder|
|1/2 tsp. ||salt|
|1 ||egg, beaten loose|
|150 ml ||beer|
|150 ml ||milk, luke warm|
|3 l ||canola oil, for frying|
- Peel the apples, and drill their cores. Cut the apples in 4 slices. Pull the apples through the sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- Sift the unbleached flower, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Make a hole in the middle, and pour the egg into it.
- While stirring, mix in the pilsner. Keep stirring for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth.
- Cover a drainer with kitchen paper. Heat the oil in a frying pan until a white damp comes off, about 345 °F (165 °C).
- Using a fork, move the apple slices through the dough, and slide them into the hot oil. Fry 5 beignets at the time for about 4 minutes. Halfway, turn with a fork.
- Put the beignets in the drainer. When all done, server in bowl and sprinkle them with powdered sugar.