This is one of our few non-vegetarian recipes. The distinctive colors and flavors of the prunes, olives, and capers have kept it a favorite for years. It's good hot or at room temperature. When prepared with small drumsticks and wings, it makes a delicious hors d'oeuvre. The overnight marinating is necessary to the moistness of the chicken. The chicken keeps and even improves over several days of refrigeration.
|Author:||Inspired by The Silver Palate|
|12||chicken breasts, cut in half|
|4||chickens, 2 1/2 pounds each|
|1 heads||garlic, peeled and finely pureed|
|1/4 cups||dried oregano|
|to taste||freshly ground black pepper|
|1/2 cups||red wine vinegar|
|1/2 cups||olive oil|
|1 cups||prunes, pitted|
|1/2 cups||green olives, pitted|
|1/2 cups||capers, preserve some of the juice|
|1 cups||brown sugar|
|1 cups||white wine|
|1/4 cups||fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped (cilantro)|
- In a large bowl combine chicken breasts/pieces, garlic, oregano, pepper and coarse salt to taste, vinegar, olive oil, prunes, olives, capers and juice and bay leaves. Cover and let marinate, refrigerate, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (165 °C).
- Arrange chicken in a single layer in one or two large shallow baking pans and spoon marinade over it evenly. Sprinkle chicken pieces with brown sugar and pour white wine around them.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, basting frequently with pan juices. Chicken is done when pieces, pricked with a fork at their thickest yield yellow, rather than pinkish juice.
- With a slotted spoon transfer chicken, prunes, olives, and capers to a serving platter. Moisten with a few spoonfuls of pan juices and sprinkle generously with parsley or cilantro. Pass remaining pan juices in a sauceboat.
|Amount per serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 0g|
|Includes Added Sugars|
The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrition in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.