The code has been compiled using the Arduino 1.6.5 tool chain. The code should compile user the Arduino IDE. Another option is the derived Atmel Studio that supports an In Circuit Emulator (ICE). However, the IDE flavor should be irrelevant to the compilation.
Visual Studio IDE
The Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition can be downloaded for free. We supplement it with the tools listed below.
- Visual Micro
Configure the tool chain
Turning on the compiler warnings
- e.g. Visual Studio > Tools > Visual Micro > Compiler Warning
Enable C++11 support (to allow enum classes).
- e.g. add
Install the libraries
- Adafruit GFX
- Adafruit LED backpack
- Chris Young’s IRLib., or my fork when you use the SilverLit remote (see page ???). Note that you can’t have the original IRLib library installed because it will cause a conflict.
- Either place them in the libraries folder to your Arduino tool chain, or in the libraries folder in your sketchbook path. Note that the Arduino tool chain doesn’t understand
Reload the tool chain
- e.g. Visual Studio (Tools » Visual Micro » Reload tool chains)
- Select the correct board type,
- Clear the build, and rebuild
- Upload to Arduino
The following pages describe the implementation.